There are two major changes that stand out in a web-hosting environment. The first is the inclusion of the .Net Framework, and the second is an update to Microsoft’s web server, Internet Information Server 5.0 (IIS 5.0), to version 6.0. The .Net Framework is an entirely new software development platform which will dramatically change the way applications are developed and hosted. IIS 6.0 was re-architected from the ground up with performance, security, and stability in mind. There are literally thousands of other changes and improvements in the new version of Windows, all of which add functionality, improve security, or increase the stability and performance of the operating system.
The vast majority of applications that run on Windows 2000 will run fine on Windows Server 2003. Microsoft SQL Server 2000 runs great, as do most other Microsoft applications – with one notable exception. Microsoft Exchange Server 2000 will *not* run on Windows Server 2003. Microsoft will be releasing the next version of Exchange Server later this year, and this will be well suited for Windows Server 2003. If you have any custom applications, you should check with the vendor or your developers for compatibility.
IIS 6.0 is faster, more secure, more stable, and more scalable than any previous version of IIS, but IIS 6.0 is not available on any prior release of Windows. Almost anyone doing any type of web hosting on an older version of IIS will immediately see performance and stability improvements. IIS 6.0 will allow you to potentially host thousands more websites per server, and startup and shutdown times for IIS are dramatically faster. IIS 6.0 can serve static content up to 200% faster than IIS 5.0 and can better isolate your applications to keep the server healthy – even when an application misbehaves. The inclusion of the.Net Framework allows you to immediately take advantage of all of the benefits of Microsoft’s newest development platforms and will run your.Net application code out of the box. It will also allow you to immediately begin developing applications which take advantage of XML web services.
There is also a FREE and EASY way to get started in developing applications that can take advantage of all the new features of your Windows 2003 webserver. ASP.NET Web Matrix is a community-supported, easy-to-use WYSIWYG application development tool for ASP.NET. It can be installed via a quick 1.3 MB download (about 5 minutes using a 56Kb modem). New features include: Access database support, J# support, design time enhancements including improved table editing and user-control rendering, many bug fixes, and much more! Best of all? It’s absolutely free! Check it out!
continue reading »
Windows Server 2003 delivers four primary benefits:
- DEPENDABLE Windows Server 2003 is the fastest, most reliable, most secure Windows server operating system ever offered by Microsoft. Windows Server 2003 delivers dependability by:
- Providing an IT infrastructure that delivers fundamental value: improved reliability, better availability, and increased scalability.
- Including an application platform with built-in traditional application server functionality on top of extensive operating system capabilities.
- Integrating an information worker infrastructure that helps keep business information secure and accessible.
- BEST ECONOMICS When combined with products and services from the many Microsoft hardware, software, and channel partners, Windows Server 2003 provides the choices that help you get the greatest return on your infrastructure investments.Windows Server 2003 does this by:
- Providing ease-of-use and prescriptive guidance for complete solutions that enable you to quickly put technology to work.
- Helping you consolidate servers by taking advantage of the latest hardware, software, and methodologies to optimize your server deployments.
- Lowering your total cost of ownership (TCO) to realize a fast return on investment.
- CONNECTED Windows Server 2003 provides an extensible application platform for quickly building solutions that keep employees, partners, systems, and customers connected.Windows Server 2003 does this by:
- Providing an integrated Web server and streaming media server that helps you quickly, easily, and securely create dynamic intranet and Internet Web sites.
- Providing built-in services that help you easily develop, deploy, and manage XML Web services.
- Providing the tools that enable you to connect XML Web services to internal applications, suppliers, and partners.
- PRODUCTIVE Windows Server 2003 provides the tools that simplify deployment, management, and administration and maximize productivity.Windows Server 2003 does this by:
- Providing flexible tools that help match your design and deployment to your organizational and network needs.
- Helping you manage your network proactively by enforcing policy, automating tasks, and simplifying updates.
- Helping you lower support overhead by letting users do more on their own.
The Windows Server 2003 family includes the following products:
- Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition
- Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition, is designed for departmental and standard workloads and delivers the following benefits:
• Support for file and printer sharing.
• More secure Internet connectivity.
• Centralized desktop application deployment.For more information, see the Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition, Overview.
- Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
- Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
Built for mission-critical server workloads, Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition, is the platform of choice for applications, Web services, and infrastructure. Delivering high reliability, performance, and superior business value, Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition provides these benefits:A full-function server operating system that supports up to 8 processors.
• Enterprise-class features, such as eight-node clustering and support for up to 32 GB of memory.
• Support for Intel Itanium-based computers.
• Support for 64-bit computing platforms capable of supporting 8 processors and 64 GB of RAM with the 64-bit version.For more information about the 32-bit version, see the Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition, Overview. For more information about the 64-bit version, see Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition for 64-Bit Itanium-based Systems.
- Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition
- Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition, is built for the highest levels of scalability and reliability. Only this platform offers the Datacenter High Availability Program of support and services. Benefits of Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition, include:
• The most powerful and functional server operating system Microsoft has ever offered.
• Support for up to 32-way SMP and 64 GB of RAM with the 32-bit version.
• Support for up to 128-way machines with individual partitions of up to 64 processors and 512 GB of RAM with the 64-bit version.
• Both 8-node clustering and load balancing services as standard features.
• Windows System Resource Manager to facilitate consolidation and system management.For more information about the 32-bit version, see the Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition, Overview. For more information about the 64-bit version, see Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition for 64-Bit Itanium-based systems.
- Windows Server 2003, Web Edition
- Windows Server 2003, Web EditionA new product within the Windows operating systems, Windows Server 2003, Web Edition, offers dedicated Web serving and hosting as well as the following benefits:• A platform for building and hosting Web applications, Web pages, and XML Web Services.
• A design intended for use primarily as an IIS 6.0 Web server.
• A platform for rapidly developing and deploying XML Web services and applications that use ASP.NET technology, a key part of the .NET Framework.
• Ease of deployment and management.For more information, see the Windows Server 2003, Web Edition, Overview.
- Windows Small Business Server 2003
- Windows Small Business Server 2003 provides a complete business server solution for small businesses. The integrated suite of server products enables companies to share information and resources safely and securely.
• Standard Edition will include Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition, Microsoft Windows SharePoint™ Services, Microsoft Exchange Server 2003, Microsoft Shared Fax Service.
• Premium Edition will include Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition, Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services, Microsoft Exchange Server 2003, Microsoft Shared Fax Service, Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration (ISA) Server, Microsoft SQL Server™ 2000, and Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003.
• The Release Candidate (RC) is now available, and you can order the Windows Small Business Server 2003 Preview Kit, which contains a preview version of Windows Small Business Server 2003, Standard Edition, for you to install and evaluate.For more information, see the Windows Small Business Server 2003 Overview.